Absolutely! Unless you're an alien with an anti-aging time machine type of skin. You will need some sort of maintenance. Your skin is the largest organ in your body. It's the first thing people see on you. It's also the biggest indication of your overall health. A true healthy skincare regime starts from the inside but we will tame that animal in another blog later! I have compiled the basic steps for a "standard" routine that you can tailor, as needed, for your exact skin care needs. It may seem like a hassle. Once you get into the habit it will be a breeze. Your skin will thank you later. Your wallet will thank you later as well. You won't need as much makeup when you don't have as many blemishes to hide! Nothing beats getting that compliment " Karen, your skin is beautiful! What's your secret?" Establishing a good skincare routine will help ensure that it doesn't age faster than you really are. These are just the basic steps recommended by most dermatologists. No one knows your skin better than you. Feel free to craft your routine as you like.
- STEP 1: CLEANSER. Use one best suited for your skin type. Use warm water. Hot water will strip your natural oils.
- STEP 2: TONER. Best for oily/acne prone skin types.
- STEP 3: SPOT TREATMENT. For acne or dark spots.
- STEP 4: SERUM. Lightweight moisturizer for firmer, smoother texture, make pores appear smaller and increase moisture levels.
- STEP 5: EYE CREAM. Eyes are the window to our souls. Also the most delicate area on your face. They need extra TLC.
- STEP 6: MOISTURIZER or FACE OIL. Keeps your skin from drying out. If you choose to use both. Apply the oil before the moisturizer. Moisturizer forms a protective barrier on your skin. Applying the oil after that would be counterproductive. A waste of product and a waste of money.
This screams a lot of creams and I'm sure dollar signs are flashing in your eyes. Are they all necessary? Why do I need some many different ones? Those are all great questions. Each serum, oil, and moisturizer has a different molecular composition. They penetrate differently. Remember not all creams, serums, moisturizers, and lotions are created equal. The most expensive ones aren't necessarily the best one for you either.
We all like to cut corners to save time. Ostrich oil is the product for that! Since ostrich oil is an anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal-, anti-bacterial, anti-aging, non-pore clogging luxurious oil you can feel confident using this instead of several different products. It also reduces your self-care product budget. You can just wash your face with your desired face wash, pat your skin with a toner. May I recommend witch hazel with rose water for your toner? Apply a few drops of ostrich oil and seal it all in with your favorite face moisturizer! The molecular composition is almost identical to the composition of human skin so it is able to penetrate deep into your skin delivering the essential fatty acids your skin needs. Ostrich oil makes an amazing eye cream/ under eye oil (light moisturizer packed with highly concentrated Omegas 3, 6, 9 and vitamin E), spot treatment (anti-bacterial makes for a great acne cream and the fatty acids help reduce fine lines), and it's an overall great moisturizer!
Below is my go-to nightly routine. Of course, I switch it up depending on my food and other factors. Bi-weekly I do a homemade mask! Your skin needs change just like your exercise regime. It can plateau as well.
1. Wash my face with a homemade creamy wash. Rotate with a store brand as well.
2. Go over my face with a (cold) homemade cucumber/lavender/rose micellar water just to catch any residue I missed the 1st time. Also helps to soothe any irritations.
3. Spritz with Lil Marie Beauty Facial Mist.
4. Apply Lil Marie Beauty ostrich oil all over my face. Gently pat with my forefinger under my eyes.
4. I apply a rose collagen or an aloe vera collagen serum.
6. Seal it all in with a homemade vitamin E, aloe vera facial shea butter.
For your convenience, you can purchase Ostrich Oil here.
For your convenience, you can purchase Facial Mist here.